- Read simple texts fluently.
- State main ideas and details in complex texts as well as make inferences.
- Build and apply knowledge of academic words.
- Write basic five paragraph essays on academic topics using increasingly complex sentence structures and standard documentation.
- Present on academic topics and participate in discussions.
- Understand main ideas and details on academic topics.
- Use note taking skills.
|Obtain a score of 450 to 500 on the TOEFL PBT.|
- Read, summarize, and paraphrase academic texts.
- Use critical reading skills to evaluate texts.
- Expand knowledge of academic words, phrasal verbs, and idioms.
- Write complex essays using appropriate registers on academic topics.
- Use library research skills to find a variety of sources.
- Communicate fluently on formal and informal topics.
- Understand the main ideas and details of authentic listening sources.
- Take detailed notes on academic lectures.
|Obtain a score of 500 to 550 on the TOEFL PBT.|
- Use high level critical thinking skills to comprehend, analyze, evaluate, and respond to complex texts.
- Use vocabulary knowledge and context clues to make inferences.
- Write a research paper in the field of their study.
- Communicate accurately and fluently using effective presentation skills on academic topics and participate in active discussions.
- Understand the main ideas and details of complex academic listening sources.
- Take organized notes on academic lectures.
|Obtain a score of at least 550 on the TOEFL PBT or 79 on the TOEFL iBT.|